Follow by Email

Friday, October 7, 2016

7 Reasons to Keep it Real on Social Media

judge not, lest you be judged ;)

       Ever written a Facebook status or posted an Instagram picture that had no bearing on your actual reality just so you could look good? I know I have.
    Thomas Jefferson once said: "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." The modern translation of this quote might be, "You know more about the friend you haven't seen in twenty years, than the friend who've you only kept up with through Facebook."
       Social media wouldn't have to be this way. We could all start telling the truth on Facebook. Here are seven reasons why it's to your advantage to keep it real on social media.

 

1.  Your opinion matters most. By lying on social media, you're signaling you care a whole lot more about other people's opinions than you should. Who cares about other people's opinions? Be yourself and let them start worrying about your opinion, rather than visa versa. In other words, live the life you want, not the one other people want you to want. Life's too short to live any other way.


2. Fake joy is only skin deep. You can convince the rest of the world your life is perfect. Or you can work on actually making your life perfect. One pursuit will only detract from the other.

3. You're selling false goods. Lying about your life not only messes with your head; it messes with others' heads. Think how guilty you will feel when all your Facebook friends buy two dozen rats because you have convinced them through your photo-shopped Facebook pics that the impulse purchase your husband made for your two-year-old that weekend you were gone at the women's retreat really did enhance your quality of life. ;)

4. Denial is bad. If you spend all your time pretending the bad things in your life don't exist, i.e. the Facebook version of denial, you'll never actually fix the things in your life that need fixing.

5. Lies are bad. Lying is morally wrong. Didn't we all learn that in Sunday School?

6. Have some self-respect. By faking things on social media, you're really showing you lack self-respect in your accomplishments. Your life doesn't actually stink all that bad. Embrace your life. Maybe, wonder of wonders, your friends might like the real you.

7. Everyone knows the truth anyway. If the last six reasons don't motivate you to bring a little honesty to your social media profiles, think of this: you're not actually fooling anyone. We all know Facebook code. Here's the translation tool.

FB post: "My husband is amazing."
Real life translation: "We had a fight last night and I want to make up." Don't you miss the old days where people could kiss and make up behind closed doors? ;)

FB post: "My wife is so hot."
Real life translation: "My highschool ex just friended me on FB and I really want her to know I'm over her."

FB post: "Look at my well-behaved kids."
Real life translation: "My kids tried to burn the house down last night. I narrowly stopped them. At this rate, I'll have no hair left by the time I'm 40."

FB post: "See my perfect Pinterest recipe."
Real life translation: "Pinterest is about the only thing going right in my life right now."

FB post: "Dolled up selfie."
Real life translation: "Ever since my boyfriend cheated on me, I've felt insecure about my looks."


FB post: "My kids are adorable."
Real life translation: "SOS. SOS. Can someone PLEASE bring me a bottle of wine and a babysitter?"

On a scale of 1(lies) to 10(honesty), how honest are you on social media? Comment below...if you dare. ;)



3 comments:

  1. Only also brings you to a place where you don't have to always remember what you said two or five days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I hardly ever post anything on social media. Because of the points you made in #7. (And am usually very quiet in groups of women, even at church functions.)

    No one would believe me if I told them about my life. I have been made to feel guilty for loving my life so much. I really can't imagine being happier. My husband is my best friend ... we never argue, or get upset at each other .... a concept that seems foreign to every one I have ever heard talking about marriage. They think I'm not being honest, because how can't you have gripes about your spouse? ... so I don't talk about my husband or our marriage.

    Moms talk about their kids and their latest struggles with them ..... again ... I can't connect because I don't have that same experience. Our children never fight either, and we have no problems with attitude.

    So yes, I won't be sharing snippets of my life, because people would try to read something behind the scenes that is not there. Just because they don't live a slice of heaven on earth, doesn't mean that it's not possible. Our family is living proof of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't lie on social media, but ... I don't say much on social media either. I don't think it's the place for dirty laundry. That said, I have my doubts about the "real life translations" mentioned here though. If that's REALLY what people do, maybe it's reflects a problem with the reader, instead of the poster. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete