Follow by Email

Friday, March 11, 2016

When You Find Yourself In a Pinch

Excited to welcome Angela Dolbear to my blog for my St. Patrick's Day series to talk about one of the more painful St. Patrick's Day traditions.

Fun Fact: I hardly ever wear green on St. Patrick's Day, and I can't remember anyone actually pinching me. No one ever tried to rub my stomach when I was pregnant with "Joe-Joe" either. I guess I have a really good evil glare. 


When You Find Yourself in a Pinch
by Angela Dolbear

          I don’t like snakes. I never have and probably never will. Maybe it’s the sly slithering, cold-bloodedness that puts me off, or the fact that they don’t have fur and won’t ever play fetch. And when they wag their tails, it doesn’t mean they are happy to see you. Or maybe it’s an “Eve” thing. As a woman, I suspect hanging out with snakes won’t end well.
         At any rate, celebrating St. Patrick’s Day should be a good thing to me, since as legend has it, St. Patrick is responsible for running all the snakes out of Ireland. But the Irish-oriented holiday has always brought a bit of anxiety and dread. Why? I have an unreasonable fear of being pinched.
           So I wonder…where does this tradition of mean-spirited violation of personal space for not wearing a certain color originate? Results from a quick browse of a reliable sites on the inter-web say that folks in the 1700’s believed that wearing green would render an individual invisible to leprechauns who were apparently inclined to pinching people.
           So, say if a colonist’s wardrobe was void of a garment with hues such as mint, malachite or moss, that person would suffer a good pinching from the community at large to remind them that they are susceptible to being seen by a leprechaun, and thus opening themselves up for another pinching.
           Seems a bit of circular reasoning, but perhaps a pinch from a leprechaun is more drastic than I may think it would be coming from the likes of the charming little fellow pictured on the boxes of beloved marshmallow-infused breakfast cereal.
          
            So, does my deep-seated fear of being pinched stem from a subconscious fear of leprechauns’ pinching? Probably not, since I didn’t know about the legend before I researched it.
             But whenever I’m out shopping and I see a green-colored garment that catches my eye, my default mental response reads, “That would be good for St. Patrick’s Day.” And the response carries no festive traditional note. No. It’s a predication of prevention. A strategy for survival:  To stave off the dreaded pinch for not wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day.
             In my clothing arsenal, I have a green buffalo plaid button-down shirt with a matching green cardigan to wear just for the holiday in mid-March. And if that wasn’t enough, I also have several bottles of nail polish ranging from shamrock to deep forest green, so I would be certain to be safe, and beyond pinch-able.

             It seems more likely that my pinch phobia stems from my childhood. I come from Italian-American descent where there is a mandate that all senior members of the ethnicity are required to greet the younger members by pinching both of their cheeks. Hard. And for a prolonged span of time, all the while a term of endearment is spoken over the youth, with vigor through gritted teeth. And always in Italian. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the Italian language is quite limited consisting of almost exclusively terms for food and profanity.
            In any case, I partake in the tradition to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day every year. I just don’t want to get pinched. And you never know when a leprechaun is lurking about.
But adoring zealous Italian relatives? That’s a different story.


With much divine prompting, singer/songwriter and author Angela Dolbear retreats nightly to her cozy home office in Austin, Texas, faithfully flanked by her Labrador retriever, to carry out her calling, which is to write. Her third and latest novel in her New Adult genre series, THE GARDEN KEY TALES, entitled FISH OUT OF WATER, is the tale of expectations, purpose, and patience.
The second book, MINDOVER MADELEINE, is a tale of fear, forgiveness, and the Loch Ness Monster (released in 2014). And the first book in the series, THE GARDEN KEY, is a tale of lust, redemption, and really good cheeseburgers, which was released in 2010 to rave reviews and emotionally spent readers. THE GARDEN KEY STUDY GUIDE is a companion Bible study guide to the novel and excellent for individual or group study.
Angela was born and raised in Southern California where she graduated from Biola University. She is a worship leader at her local church, writes and records adult/alternative music, and is quite fond of all things mid-century style.
To learn more, please visit her website, www.TheGardenKey.com or www.CloudPillarPublishing.com for book and music information. Email: angela@cloudpillarpublishing.com.
Instagram: authorangeladolbear
Twitter:  @AngelaDolbear
Facebook: Angela Dolbear

1 comment:

  1. Angela Dolbear rocks!! Read her books, listen to her music and eat a really good cheeseburger. You will not regret any of the three.

    ReplyDelete