Follow by Email

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

St. Patrick's Day: A Time to Buy Your Children Adorable Clothes

As a mom of a little boy, I don't often get to dress my child in adorable clothes like all you moms' of girls do. Last week, when I tried to put a mildly cute sweater on Joe-Joe for church, (it was blue, manly, I really wasn't asking that much), he yanked it off within five minutes, all the time making whimpering noises about how horrible a mother I was for trying to make him wear it. But I loved reading about author J'nell Ciesielski's fun dressing her daughter for St. Patrick's Day.


St. Patrick's Day: A Time to Buy Your Children Adorable Clothes
By J'nell Ciesielski


Dancing leprechauns, glittery shamrocks, and oversized green hats. It can only be that time of year again. St. Patrick’s Day. A day to celebrate Christianity being brought to Ireland by Saint Patrick, but now mostly serves as a day to pretend you’re Irish and get drunk. Though my family does have Irish in the blood, we’ve never really celebrated the day. At least not in all the greenified glory that some take to with gusto. Perhaps if we drank more green beer and gave out sloppy kisses to strangers … on second thought, no.

There is one tradition that I grew up with and still carry on now with my own family. You have to wear green or you’ll get pinched. Legend has it that wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns who like to sneak up on people and pinch them. The only reason I think this tradition persisted in our family is because my mom wanted to take out her aggression and pinch us all day. Whatever the reason, it’s something I’m carrying on because, why not? It’s fun and though my husband finds it weird, our two year old daughter will find it hilarious. 
ETSY: JessStuffWtihLove
https://www.etsy.com/listing/235958699/girls-green-fairy-dress-and-flower-crown?ref=related-1


Plus, I just bought her a green Minnie Mouse t-shirt that she’ll look adorable in. A green shirt on the day is standard, but I’ll take nail polish, shoes, socks, and even underwear. Though with underwear you can get away with pinching because you can claim you never saw the green underneath!



Born in Florida, I spent a happy childhood splashing on the sugar white beaches only known to the Sunshine Stare. While in middle school, my dad got a job transfer to Texas where I graduated from Texas A&M with a B.S. in Psychology. Not knowing what else to do with my life and seeing as how writing wasn’t paying the bills yet, I joined the Air Force. Stationed in Germany I was privileged to travel to France, Austria, the Netherlands, England, and my favorite Scotland. I also met my awesome husband over there. Finding him was worth wearing camouflage and combat boots every day. After serving our four years, we now live in Virginia where I’m a stay at home mom to a busy two year old and a very lazy beagle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment