Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Juggling: Family, Work, Home

       Ever feel overwhelmed as a parent? Sometimes spend the entire day just trying to keep all the plates spinning? For many of us, along with the tension of balancing work and kids, there's also the question, "How much work vs. kids should I be doing?" Here's a great guest blogpost by Maggie Makris about how she chose to fit work into her life. Check out her blog at Momzcuisine.
      Did you make a different decision about work and parenting? I'd love to hear your thoughts in a guest blogpost. Just shoot me an email at apgarboczi@gmail.com.


Juggling


        Some would consider this a circus act, but to me it's part of life. Juggling more than two things has been part of my life ever since I can remember. It wasn't a matter of adjusting my life, but a matter of adjusting my schedule to include or extract a certain project. My family and I never really made a transition from work to family. It became a part of our lives. I must say I believe that I gained more respect because of work.
        Prior to my children's birth I was working as an ESL teacher. When I gave birth to my first child. I still continued working, although it was difficult. I never wanted my kids to say mom cooks, cleans and shops, (that's a no – no on my list); I had much more to offer than that! I found my sanity through work. I only stopped working for three years. After that I worked as a sales representative from home booking yachts and cruises to American clients and at the same time writing numerous articles for the company's site. During that time my daughter was 3 months old and my son 3 1⁄2. A difficult task but not something that couldn't be accomplished. Reflecting back on a particular account, ( I was on the phone with a client while changing my daughter's diaper I was finalizing and confirming every detail on the client's itinerary), I still laugh and I'm very proud of myself!
         Another incident that comes to mind is when the clients had arrived at the dock to begin their cruise, but no skipper was available. Panic wasn't even a thought. I dressed my six month old daughter, (Michael Schummacer couldn't have done it faster.) and arrived at the dock's office. I had marketing bags with souvenirs. I gave then to the clients while serving them chilled drinks and chatting with them. Let me not forget my daughter was the center of attention. As they were drinking, enjoying their gifts and gazing at the beautiful sea, I was fervently working in the office with the crew to find a skipper. Just as they had finished their drinks, I found a skipper and they went on their cruise just as planned. I felt so good that I had accomplished the unbelievable. They loved their cruise, and were very satisfied with the service. We  have remained friends to this day. After two years, I quit and I had decided to start my own business. A lot of market research, business planning, finding merchandise, setting up a site ( my husband helped) all this while having two kids, home schooling my son in English and being a very part time care taker to my 89 year old grandmother. My company has been up and running for 5 years now.
       Today, aside from all the above, I'm a part time teacher (ESL) to a friend's child and I also blog over at Mommy's Kitchen (momzcuisine.com).
        All my eggs in one basket and not one broke. I've lost a lot of sleep, but I have gained lots of respect. My motto has always been: what the mind conceives it achieves !!!

15 comments:

  1. Creative ways to balance everything :) I think juggling it all is something that can be done, but in various seasons it may or may not work out as well...also depends on how many children one has as well.

    Currently I homeschool two, have two in school, have a little one & another one we're expecting. I also do consulting on the side, but lately that has been few & far between. I enjoy outside outlets though. If not working, I also find volunteering just as therapeutic, when that works out :)

    Thanks for sharing on this week's Mom 2 Mom Link Up Party! Hope you come join us again soon, Rachael @ Diamonds in the Rough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy life and great accomplishments. I think the answer is women can have it all, but no one, women or men, can do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all women juggle, and most men do, too (even though they might not admit it). But no one can do it all or have it all at the same time. We must set priorities, because we're not omnipotent, as much as we think we are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I popped over from the True Agape linkup. Thanks for sharing Maggie's story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you juggled it all well. Our first little one is a few days shy of 8 months now. Honestly, I am still trying to figure out how to figure out a balance between attention and care for her and attention and care for my businesses.

    Thank you for linking up at True Agape's Monthly Motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appears that you pay awesome attention to all the plates in the air and you are not afraid to get creative when you need to. This is an awesome story of customer service as well. I like that you never mention things as being a hassle, although they may have been less than convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They say if you want to get something done, give it to a busy person. Like you, I worked full time- professional carrer counselor, raised 2 kids, helped hubby in his business & never missed a play my daughter was in, made all family holiday meals & events, involved in community, etc. Its a question of having good time management, relationships you can make requests of, support in the house. I loved it all. I still create a very busy life & I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ladies for your responses it make smy day a lot brighter. I agree Tina, I must admit my husband juggles quite a bit especially in the summer time. Cassie, my mom raised 3 children with no help and at times she worked, she is my inspiration. I said if she caan do it, so can I. I must admit it was hard and sometimes I worked in the wee hours to answer emails but the satisfaction of working and making a difference was what made the difference :) We can'yt do it all at once but we can always try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to one day be both a career woman and a mom. Thanks for your story! It's encouraging to know that women can make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You go girl! I hope one day I can successfully juggle a career and being a mom! This is so encouraging for people like me who are just starting out, and are worried about being able to make it work! Thanks for being a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is MUCH more to being a stay-at-home mom than cooking, cleaning, and shopping. Respect and juggling are required for both types of parenting and respect is well-deserved by both. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again next week. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit it does take a lot of work but it just feels so good to help with the family income but it also characterizes you as a person and your kids also see that mom just doesn't cook and clean only. :) Thanks everyone !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, congrats on being a great juggler. I can't imagine owning a business with all that you have going on. Thanks for inspiring us at Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinned to our linkup board and hope you linked up again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank You Tanya sorry for the late reply :)
    I just love inspiring people!

    ReplyDelete