Follow by Email

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Enter to win this Civil War novel by Stephenia McGee

    I've always been fascinated by imbalances of power and the different manifestations of "caste" in societies. The American founders wrote "all men are created equal," yet nowhere, in any society, have all humanity actually been treated as equal.
       Philosophizing aside, The Whistle Walk looks like an amazing read about the most unlikely of Civil War friendships--a pampered belle and a slave.
 
The Whistle Walk
 
 
by Stephenia H. McGee
 
A Mississippi Plantation: Civil War pits country men against one another and tears a nation asunder. Life and death are held in the balance where everyone is a slave to something.

 
One is born free, yet lives as a soul in bondage…

Lydia Harper never intended to purchase a slave. But when she witnesses a woman being beaten in the street, all her pretenses begin to unravel. A bride to a man she barely knows and bound by her secrets, Lydia will risk everything to save a stranger. Amid the War Between the States, the mistress of Ironwood faces the battles in her own heart and discovers strength in a way she never imagined.
 

The other is born to serve, yet holds the spirit of freedom…

Ruth, standing on the threshold of desperation, has lost everything she holds dear. After being pulled from the dirt, she is no longer a field hand but the personal maid to the lady of Ironwood. Ruth soon realizes adversity pays no mind to the color of skin. When propriety slips, she discovers they have more in common than she dreamed possible. In a time when fear brings the South to its knees, two women will forge a friendship in the fires of redemption and thrust Ironwood into a new future – where the battle for freedom has merely begun. 



Enter to win one of TWO e-books by commenting below. :) Make sure I have your email address by signing up on the right-hand side. (I promise not to spam you. I only send out emails if I have a book release.) Ends 1/3/15

 
Buy the Book:

 


 Stephenia McGee is a wife, mother of two very active little boys, author, and chairman of Spirit Horse Ministries. A portion of all her book sales go to help the ministry provide spiritual and emotional growth and a quality education to at-risk young girls. Stephenia currently lives in Mississippi with her husband and sons where she writes stories of faith, redemption and the deep south.


 
 
 
 

37 comments:

  1. Sounds like good reading & I'm always on the look out for new authors! THANKS for a nice Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story, Stephenia, and one I'd like to read. Congratulations on another new book! muschfarm at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi. Ironwood has long captured my imagination and I'm excited to finally share the story.

      Delete
  3. I would love to read some of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely love to read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting! crid21@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blurb, pulled me right in with a story I would love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so interesting!! Famhriv at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if my other comment dissappeared or will show up later...susanmarlenekinney@gmail.com
    Thank you for this wonderful report & book offer! I would certainly love to read it! I have two book give-aways going on right now at inkyquillbysuzie.blogspot.com. I invite you over to sign up for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good book. It didn't have a space to sign up for a newsletter, but my email is dbdempsey98(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the lovely giveaway! The book sounds lovely, I like to read about strong friendships!

    janka(dot)halcinova(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! This sounds a must to add to my wish list. Thank you!
    Campbellamyd At gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. historical fiction is my favorite genre, and I've developed an affinity for American wars in fiction!! would love to have a copy of your book

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a unique premise for a story. I'd love to read it. landtbeth at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! I love Civil War books! Grandmama_brenda at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a wonderful book! Would love to read it! Thanks so much for the opportunity to win! God Bless You and Your Family! Have a wonderful, blessed holiday season!
    cavallofrances@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy historical fiction a lot and would appreciate winning a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of the book and Civil War era stories! Sounds wonderful!!
    Lewisbecky345@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the story blurb and love to read uplifting Civil War fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have determined that if I don't win it, I'll buy it! Sounds great and the proceeds go to a wonderful writer who supports a good cause. What's to lose?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a great premise. It's been a long time since I read any Civil War fiction, but I think it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard good things about this book! martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love books set during the Civil War and love your ministry, Stephenia!!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Spirit Horse Ministries is very near to my heart. Thank you for checking it out!

      Delete
  24. I love to read Plantation books. Please put my name in for the drawing. Thanks!

    Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...sounds like a great book Stephenia!!! I LOVE that era anyway; although I'm not too sure I would want to wear those layers of clothes ;)) Love all the rich history of that period and the book sounds like it is seeped in it.
    KSherwoodRN@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would enjoy reading this one !
    dkstevensne AT outlook DOtcOM

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would love to read. Joanninmh@embarqmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd love to read this! philanthropicHR@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to read and review this for you! philanthropicHR@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness. I am so glad I found your site. It has great reviews that are very informative in helping me decide if I want to read a book or not. Wow, thank you for sharing the civil war story The Whistle Walk. Civil war fiction is my favorite type of fiction. Along with underground railroad,slavery,orphan trains,plantation homes and civil war fiction where a woman disguises herself to either fight in the war or travel with her husband. I really would love to read your book. Thank you for the opportunity. Deanne Patterson Cnnamongirl@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much for reading Deanne! :) Glad you like my site. Off to post up another book just now.

      Delete
  31. Thank you everyone for entering! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete