Follow by Email

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Health Up: Challenge #2


"Rest and be thankful," said William Wadsworth, an English Romantic poet.

      As a mental health counselor, I've often studied how rest helps your mental health. Anxiety and depression can be mitigated or worsened by rest or the lack thereof. New research shows that even the most serious of mental health disorders, schizophrenia, can be improved by a peaceful environment.
     Now when I say rest, I don't mean sleep, I mean the absence of stress. Chronic stress builds up substances like cortisol, which damage the brain.
     But apart from helping mental health, did you know that rest improves your physical health? Relaxation techniques can lower your blood pressure, make you lose weight (or gain weight if stress was making you too thin), and improve your health over all.

Health Up Challenge #2: Take ten minutes today and go spend them in your favorite relaxing spot. Take a picture and post it! This picture is of me at the Rocky Mountains. In reality, the most relaxing spot I was able to get away to today was my couch, but one can dream. :) And I did have a cup of hot tea.

Two ways to join in
1. post a Facebook picture of yourself completing the challenge and tag @AnneGarbocziEvans  OR
2. post in the BLOG comments about what you did.

And I'm working on obtaining the Christmas grand prize for the Health Up challenge right now. :)


4 comments:

  1. Ohhh rest!! I have two whole days off this week (Sunday/Monday) and plan to rest for their entirety...but for today, I sat in the quiet lobby of my work and browsed pictures of yummy food and sparkling Christmas decorations while listening to (don't judge me) Christmas music <3
    My cup of tea comes with dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does cuddling with my little girl and reading to her for a little while count? The beach would be more relaxing, but getting there takes more work. :-P ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does cuddling with my little girl and reading to her for a little while count? The beach would be more relaxing, but getting there takes more work. :-P ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swung in the hammock in the sunshine and ignored all time-sucks other than enjoying a beautiful fall day. It was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete