Follow by Email

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Traded in My Bikini for a Hijab: Day 3

             Hi, I’m Anne and I’m an author with Hartline Literary Agency. My latest book is a piece about world religions entitled, No Fear: My Tale of Hijabs, Witchcraft Circles, & the Cross. Along with ordering hundreds of reference books from the library and pouring over the Qur’an and hadiths, I wanted to experience a little of how it felt to be a Muslim woman. So, I traded in my tank-top and jeans for a tradition Islamic head-covering, the hijab.
            I tried to follow my normal schedule as a stay-at-home mom to a 2 ½ year old. So, on Thursday night, I decided to go to Zumba class. Zumba-ing in a floor-length skirt, polyester sweater, and head-covering, was that even possible? The hijab I’d bought was marketed for “athletic use,” so I intended to see if I’d gotten my money’s worth.
           I received some aghast looks as I walked onto the hardwood floor. I could see women’s brains scrambling as they tried to reconcile the sexy, salsa moves of Zumba with a hijab.
          The instructor, trying not to too obviously look at me, asked the class . . .

Read the rest at thoughtcatalog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment